St Albans charity walk to help support rescued dogs
- Credit: Archant
St Albans dog lovers are urged to take part in a Christmas charity walk to help prevent unloved dogs from being put down.
Sophie Hudson, who works for St Albans solicitors SA Law, set up the Santa Paws Walk to benefit rescue shelter Glendee, situated in Welham Green, which looks after healthy dogs in need of a loving home who might otherwise be euthanised.
A rescue dog costs around £70 a week to look after, due to heating, food, vet costs and the costs of the kennels, and Glendee also relies heavily on volunteers to walk the dogs, and ‘aunties and uncles’ who will pop in to play or simply sit with a rescued animal, and be a positive presence to a dog who might not be used to human contact.
Sophie explained: “I found out about Glendee from the All About St Albans Facebook page where I saw people sharing photos of rescue dogs and asking for volunteers to help. I didn’t realise that dogs would be put down if they hadn’t found a home within eight days of staying at a pound and knew I had to help. I met up with the fundraising team and set out to create events to help raise money and awareness of Glendee dog rescue.
“Although money from the events we have already put on is fantastic - we just had a Santa Paws evening at The Boot which raised just over £200 - it is just as important for us at this time to raise awareness of Glendee so more dogs can find homes.”
You may also want to watch:
The 5K Santa Paws Walk takes place tomorrow and starts at the Heartwood Forest car park in Sandridge at 1.30pm. Mulled wine and festive stalls will also be available.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or add Glendee Rescue on Facebook for volunteering, fostering and adoption queries.
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease
- 2 Dirty Dancing and The Greatest Showman among St Albans open-air cinema screenings
- 3 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Author explores city's hidden history
- 6 Mental Health Awareness Week: Easing children’s worries and fears after lockdown
- 7 Whipsnade Zoo to celebrate 90th birthday with fun family activities
- 8 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 9 Olympic hopeful Raissa Vickery benefits from 948 Sports Foundation help
- 10 Council elections: who are St Albans Liberal Democrat candidates?