St Albans charity for older people celebrates 60 years
- Credit: Ian Nancollas | Ian Nancollas Ph
A St Albans-based charity has celebrated helping and caring for older people in specialised homes for 60 years.
The Abbeyfield Society provides housing, dementia facilities and independent living for those in need.
They held a special thanksgiving service at St Albans Cathedral to commemorate their anniversary.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Frances Leonard and the society’s chairman Ian Plaistowe attended and trustee Revd Dr Stephen Venner conducted the service.
Cllr Leonard said: “St Albans can be very proud that such a great charity is based in this city.
You may also want to watch:
“It not only works tirelessly to help older people in St Albans but in towns up and down the country.
“The organisation is a true champion for older people.”
- 1 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 2 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 History comes to life at Celtic Harmony in Hertfordshire
- 8 Green light given to new hospital project
- 9 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 10 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
More than 500 homes, 4,000 volunteers, and 8,000 older people help the charity to carry on its work.
Chief executive Natasha Singarayer added: “All our staff in St Albans and in our homes across the country have worked so hard over the last 60 years to make lives better for older people in our care.
“We were delighted with how our Abbeyfield service went yesterday and St Albans Cathedral was the perfect place to give thanks to the work of our wonderful organisation.
“We were thrilled to see so many of our residents, volunteers and members of staff at our celebration and enjoyed welcoming the Mayor of St Albans into the Abbeyfield family.”