St Albans charity for older people celebrates 60 years
- Credit: Ian Nancollas | Ian Nancollas Ph
A St Albans-based charity has celebrated helping and caring for older people in specialised homes for 60 years.
The Abbeyfield Society provides housing, dementia facilities and independent living for those in need.
They held a special thanksgiving service at St Albans Cathedral to commemorate their anniversary.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Frances Leonard and the society’s chairman Ian Plaistowe attended and trustee Revd Dr Stephen Venner conducted the service.
Cllr Leonard said: “St Albans can be very proud that such a great charity is based in this city.
You may also want to watch:
“It not only works tirelessly to help older people in St Albans but in towns up and down the country.
“The organisation is a true champion for older people.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 3 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Revealed: The most and least expensive places to buy a property in Hertfordshire
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 Allowance cuts for top councillors rejected by members
- 10 Revealed: The most popular places in Hertfordshire to move to
More than 500 homes, 4,000 volunteers, and 8,000 older people help the charity to carry on its work.
Chief executive Natasha Singarayer added: “All our staff in St Albans and in our homes across the country have worked so hard over the last 60 years to make lives better for older people in our care.
“We were delighted with how our Abbeyfield service went yesterday and St Albans Cathedral was the perfect place to give thanks to the work of our wonderful organisation.
“We were thrilled to see so many of our residents, volunteers and members of staff at our celebration and enjoyed welcoming the Mayor of St Albans into the Abbeyfield family.”