St Albans charity cycle ride open for applications
- Credit: Archant
The St Albans Charity Cycle Ride is coming around again.
The annual event, on Sunday May 14, is now open for registration by individuals or teams.
Riders can pick from a variety of routes; from a more leisurely 10 miles up to a tougher ride of 40 miles.
Organised by the three Rotary Clubs of St Albans, the ride has been a fixture in the local calendar for 21 years, raising over £500,000 for charity in that time.
Last year alone, 1,300 cyclists raised £40,000 for Macmillan Nurses, Medical Detection Dogs and The Daylight Club in St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
This year’s charities include Herts Action on Disabiity (HAD), which runs team ‘We’ve Had It!’ in the event. HAD spokesperson and team member Paul Bishop called the SACCR “good in every way”.
Also benefiting will be Youth Talk, which has provided counselling for over 2,300 young people in the St Albans district, as well as family support charity Home Start.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
Trevor Fromant, Youth Talk’s chief executive, said that without the support of the ride, the charity would not be able to retain its current number of counselling sessions.
Cycle ride chair Christine Thomson said: “It’s a fun day out and one of St Albans’s top fundraisers.
“Many of those who have participated before cannot wait and we know we will be joined by many new friends as well.”
To register for the event go to www.saccr.co.uk/entry.