St Albans ceremony marks 80th anniversary of death of golfing legend Samuel Ryder
- Credit: Archant
Golf club members made a special visit to a St Albans cemetery last Saturday to mark the 80th anniversary of the death of the man after whom the sport’s most famous trophy is named.
Led by Verulam Golf Club captain Bryn Aldridge, the party made a commemorative visit to the grave of Samuel Ryder at Hatfield Road cemetery.
Samuel Ryder was captain of the golf club three times and presenter of the Ryder Cup in 1927.
The golfers were joined by members of the Samuel Ryder Foundation led by David Howells and Pat Fulton.
Bryn Aldridge, who laid a bouquet of flowers on the grave, said that Samuel Ryder’s contribution to founding Verulam Golf Club and the game of golf in the locality had been immense and without his guidance and captaincy on three occasions the club would not have progressed to its current level and standing.
Pat Fulton also laid a bouquet on the grave on behalf of the foundation and David Holwell related a message from former Ryder Cup captain Tony Jacklin who said: “Samuel Ryder, I’m sure would have been enormously proud to know the heights the Ryder Cup has risen to. For it to have escalated into one of the premier sporting events in the world is nothing but amazing.
“So many professional golfers have enjoyed the camaraderie of ‘Team’ and so many spectators have been thrilled with the various outcomes. It makes it difficult to quantify the significance of his contributions. Suffice to say he certainly ‘made a difference.”
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 5 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 6 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 7 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
After the ceremony a short reception was held at Verulam Golf Club.