Can you help make a St Albans care home resident’s dream come true?
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans care home has been “overwhelmed” by offers from the public to help make residents’ dreams come true.
In August, Fosse House on Ermine Close was told by their parent company Quantum Care to ask each resident for a wish they would like to come true.
As part of the Silver Wishes project for their 25th birthday, Quantum would then realise one dream per home.
Fosse House was able to organise tickets to a Manchester United game, and a trip to a wolf sanctuary for a resident who previously hand-reared the animals.
However, this was not enough for manager Zoe Hiscox, who believed they had to fulfil every dream from their 80 residents.
You may also want to watch:
Zoe said: “I was staring at this board with all the wishes on, and thought ‘why only one? Let’s go hell for leather, and realise them all’ - and now it’s snowballing.”
She knew the Fosse House staff could not do it on their own, so she turned to the general public for help via a Facebook page, called Silver Wishes.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
With the help of a fleet of fairy godmothers and godfathers, they have secured Luton Town tickets for one resident after being contacted by the management, and a visit from a barn owl for another person.
Zoe said: “I realised we needed the generous help from Joe Public and set up the Facebook page.
“Since then we have been overwhelmed by all the offers and have started having weekly meetings to discuss them all further.
“We will make them all happen, it may take a few months, but we will definitely get there.”
Some of the wishes yet to be fulfilled include a Bing Crosby tribute singer, a trip to Buckingham Palace, and a canal boat ride.
Other wishes that need realising include trips on the London Eye, to a London theatre, to a rugby match, to a boxing match, to Guildford, for a good quality music player, and for their room to be decorated to remind them of Jamaica.
Zoe says they hope to have fulfilled every dream by the beginning of next year.
Anyone who thinks they can help can get in touch through the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/Silver-WishesThere is a list posted on there with all the dreams either organised, in the pipeline, or yet to be fulfilled.