St Albans canon celebrates 60 years in the church
A CANON who co-found a Catholic college in St Albans celebrates 60 years of religious life at the Abbey on Friday (19). Brother Clements, who also turned 80 years old on Friday, was one of four Brothers of the Sacred Heart who founded St Columba s College
A CANON who co-found a Catholic college in St Albans celebrates 60 years of religious life at the Abbey on Friday (19).
Brother Clements, who also turned 80 years old on Friday, was one of four Brothers of the Sacred Heart who founded St Columba's College in 1955 after arriving in this country from their home in New England, America.
Br. Clements, who first took his vows in 1949 when he was 20 years old, was head teacher at St Columba's for eight years and was also the first Roman Catholic to be appointed to the St Albans Abbey staff. He retired from the college in 1989 although still lives on the campus.
Br. Clements's party on Friday marks the 60th anniversary of when he was ordained and over 100 people will attend, including The Dean of St Albans Dr Jeffrey John. The evening, which will be held at the Abbey, will start with mass and be followed by a champagne reception and a banquet.
You may also want to watch:
Br. Clements said that he awaited it with eager anticipation: "Despite a few jittery spells, I'm really looking forward to my special party. It'll be great to see people from both my past and present in one room and I'm hoping that they'll be a birthday cake there!
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden