St Albans cadet completes Navy training
- Credit: Archant
A 22-year-old from St Albans has been commissioned as a Midshipman after an intensive training course.
Katherine Butler was among the 155 cadets at the ceremony, watched by 800 family, friends, and guests
She said: “I have really enjoyed my training at Britannia Royal Naval College and am looking forward to moving on and starting my career specific training.
“I want to make a difference and not just sit in an office all the time, but to have variety in the day to day working environment.”
Katherine has just completed a 30-week training course, which included three weeks aboard the Navy’s flagship, HMS Ocean.
You may also want to watch:
The course also included a five-day exercise with the Royal Marines, which she said was a highlight of the course.
Katherine received her education in St Albans, before taking a First in mathematics at Durham University.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
Now she has completed the training course, she will remain at the college to complete training to be a warfare officer.