Will popular St Albans business social media group close?
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A popular digital network for local businesses will not be closing after all.
St Albans Businesses Facebook (SAB) page has nearly 4,000 members and is regularly visited by independent enterprises looking to establish themselves in the community.
Admins of the page, from The Business Community, recently announced they would close the page tomorrow and instead run a paid alternative.
They suggested current group members sign up for the other page by paying a subscription of £18 a month or £199 a year and becoming an official SAB member.
£5 of that monthly fee goes to Home-Start Herts - a charity supporting families to raise their children.
You may also want to watch:
However, there was some backlash on the Facebook group, with some businesspeople questioning the plans.
Owner of The Business Community, Sue Wybrow, said: “We listened to what people were saying and they were saying they really wanted to keep it going.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 4 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
“What we are going to do is, it will be more about telling people about our members and the businesses we have here in St Albans.”
The other group will remain as a support network for paying customers.
“We will be sharing successes and what the businesses are up to in St Albans, because I think people need to know who we are behind it all.”
She described the change as an evolution.