St Albans Burma Star veteran celebrates 90th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Burma Star veteran Reg Cox is used to being in the background at celebrations and ceremonies.
But his family and friends turned the tables on him and ensured he was the centre of attention as he reached his 90th birthday.
Reg, chairman of the St Albans Burma Star Association, who regularly recites the Kohima Epitaph on Remembrance Day and other commemorations, was at the heart of a special bench unveiling ceremony to mark his birthday.
Among those who were on hand to congratulate him was the Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Annie Brewster, who said: “Reg has spent his life paying tribute to his fallen comrades and we are so grateful to him for what he has done in the past and, indeed, continues to contribute to St Albans.
“It is very fitting that this lovely bench in Jersey Farm Woodland Park, right by the memorial that is dedicated to the Royal Naval Association The L.S.T and Landing Craft Association and the British Korean Veterans Association, be installed for his 90th birthday.
You may also want to watch:
“It will provide a perfect place for him, and other residents, to reflect.”
Reg, who served as a photographer in the Royal Marines aboard ship in the Burma Campaign, added, “I cannot believe it, I think this is wonderful. In an hour or two I am going to pinch myself to see if this is really happening. Thank you everyone.”
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Property Spotlight: A quaint cottage on Fishpool Street, St Albans
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Havin a fantastic lunch at new Turkish restaurant