St Albans bloggers launch new guide to district’s dog-friendly venues
- Credit: Archant
Finding a dog-friendly venue in which to dine has now been made easier thanks to a new blog set up by two sisters.
Dog Vs Food was set up by sisters Elizabeth, 32, and Alexandra, 29, Kerr, who both live in St Albans, with the aim of providing people with information about cafés, restaurants and pubs in St Albans which admits dogs.
The blog was first put together at the beginning of May and has since had requests from people in other areas of the country to find out which hotels in St Albans allow dogs, so they can come and visit.
They first got the idea of setting up the page after they were told that a nearby pub had become pooch friendly.
Alexandra has a three-year-old French Bulldog called Mila who features on the blog. She takes her to all the venues that allow people to bring in their canine friends and said: “Mila’s been going to the pub since she was eight weeks old.
You may also want to watch:
“I take her everywhere with me, and at first it was a struggle to find places that would allow you inside.
“As time has gone on, more and more places allow dogs but they don’t advertise it.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
- 9 Harpenden's first Sustainable Market is a scorching success
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
“People are often surprised when I tell them where I take her.”
Dog VS Food has a map feature which allows people to locate the venues and it also has a ‘Holidays’ page that shows all of the places that Mila has visited throughout the UK, including a zoo in the Cotswolds.
Alexandra, who also runs the page, is heavily involved with the dog world and runs a monthly French Bulldog walk in Veralamium Park and volunteers for the RSCPA as a dog walker.
He said: “The name is inspired by the show Man V Food where they tour American restaurants, and it made sense as Mila is commonly known as the food monster.
“We’ve started with St Albans but will slowly reach out to other places.
“It’s meant as a useful tool for dog owners, and we’ve had so many recommendations from people that we’re finding useful ourselves.
“I have a feeling St Albans may be the most dog friendly town out there.”
To see the blog, click here.