St Albans Bishop leads prayers for Haiti earthquake victims
PRAYERS for the people of Haiti and the rescue efforts were led by the Bishop of St Albans, the Rt Rev Alan Smith, in a service on Sunday. The Bishop, who was speaking at a service in Barnet Vale, had already issued a call to prayer and for generous givin
PRAYERS for the people of Haiti and the rescue efforts were led by the Bishop of St Albans, the Rt Rev Alan Smith, in a service on Sunday.
The Bishop, who was speaking at a service in Barnet Vale, had already issued a call to prayer and for generous giving by the churches in the St Albans diocese.
In his sermon on Sunday, the Bishop said that people had watched with horror as estimates of the death toll in Haiti had risen alarmingly, hour by hour.
He went on: "We have been confronted with heart-rending stories of whole families being crushed by falling masonry, of children being pulled out of piles of rubble, terribly injured and having to cope with the knowledge that all other members of their family have been killed.
You may also want to watch:
"Amazingly a few survivors are still being pulled out of collapsed buildings alive. Such suffering touches the deep primal fears that inhabit our dreams. It is the stuff of nightmares."
The Bishop said such natural disasters raised question about whether there could be a God but maintained there were two pointers in the Christian gospel - that Jesus entered into the pain and suffering of the world by dying on the cross and the belief in resurrection.
- 1 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 2 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 3 Police seek cyclist after city centre assault
- 4 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 5 de Havilland Aircraft Museum awarded £90k grant as it plans for May reopening
- 6 How many candidates are standing for county council?
- 7 Former St Albans Mayor celebrates golden wedding
- 8 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador
- 9 Swimming's coming home for Harpenden as club return to refurbished base
- 10 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?