St Albans’ Bird set to fly on Asia bike challenge
- Credit: Archant
Some people will go to extraordinary lengths to impress their new boss – but one St Albans dad has agreed to cycle 900km from Bangkok to Siem Reap in Cambodia.
Graeme Bird, 36, jumped at the opportunity to get on two wheels and brave the 35 degree heat to raise money for the Hope Foundation for Cambodian Children (HFCC) when he was asked in the spring.
Dad-of-two Graeme is part of a 25-strong team of amateur cyclists from the telecoms giant BT, heading out to the Thai capital in October.
Between them, they have raised close to $100,000 – money which will go toward providing support to newborn babies, children and mothers affected by the Cambodian AIDS epidemic as well as funding the construction of a new school in Cambodia.
Graeme, who works as a sales director, has spent four months training and says he is excited to begin his trip.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I think I’m ready. From a fitness point of view, the one unknown is going to be the heat.
“I am riding up to the Dunstable Downs at the moment, through Redbourn and Harpenden but I have never exercised in 35 degree heat.”
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
Graeme’s children, five-year-old Charlie and three-year-old Isabel, have been very encouraging, according to Graeme, and are keen to get involved.
He said: “They think daddy’s in some sort of bike race. They want to come out with me.”
To support Graeme, click here.