St Albans artist’s star-studded company includes Robbie Williams and John Hurt
- Credit: Archant
A local artist took part in a charity auction last week which saw his work hung next to a selection of unusual artists, including John Hurt, Robbie Williams and Annie Lennox.
Ben Askem was asked by the Willow Foundation to contribute to their Stars on Canvas exhibition, held in central London.
The piece in question is called Downtown Dusk and features a cityscape in mixed medium which raised over £300 on Ebay for the charity.
Speaking to the Herts Advertiser at the event he said: “It’s lovely to see it up here. Willow is just brilliant, it’s a fantastic cause.”
All proceeds go to the charity, which provides days out for terminally ill people, and was set up by former Arsenal goalkeeper and sports presenter Bob Wilson and his wife Megs as a legacy to their daughter Anna after she died at 31.
After losing his mum to cancer, Ben said he realised just how valuable charities were. The Hospice of St Francis in Berkhamsted helped him and his family and always did their best to keep a smile on their faces.
“I genuinely don’t know how we would have got by without them.
- 1 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 2 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 5 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 8 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
- 9 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
The artist is completing a charity bike ride from Lands End to John O’ Groats in September next year for the hospice. Donations can be made through his Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/Ben-Askem