St Albans and Harpenden restaurant group is runner-up in food awards
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans and Harpenden restaurant group is celebrating after being named runners-up in two categories of the 11th annual Observer Food Monthly Awards 2014.
Independent brasserie Lussmanns Fish & Grill Restaurants was selected in the ‘Best Restaurant’ and ‘Best Cheap Eats’ categories of the awards, representing readers’ choices for their ideal place for a special occasion or a reliable local stand-by (Lussmanns St Albans - Best Restaurant) and their money-saving favourite for a tremendous meal for under £15 (Lussmanns Harpenden - Best Cheap Eats).
The overall winners in these two categories were The Ledbury (London W11) and Silk Road (London SE5).
Since their creation in 2003, the Observer Food Monthly Awards have championed the best in British food and drink, from independent local producers to the UK’s most admired chefs.
The esteemed panel of judges includes Tom Kerridge, Russell Norman and Tom Kitchen.
You may also want to watch:
The winners were announced at a show-stopping ceremony at the Freemasons’ Hall in London, co-hosted by Jay Rayner and The Great British Bake Off presenter Sue Perkins, where chef’s knives trophies made by Ben Edmunds were presented.
Introducing the awards in The Observer, judge Nigel Slater said: “Britain’s most inspired and enterprising food is to be found from one end of the land to the other.
- 1 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 2 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 3 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 4 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 7 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 8 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 9 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 10 A New York state of mind
“More than ever this year our awards reflect that.
“Applause is due to all our winners wherever they work, farm and cook, and to the thousands of you who voted in this year’s awards. As always your votes are crucial and much appreciated.”
Owner Andrei Lussmann said: “Once again, I am both honoured and humbled to make runner-up in these prestigious annual foodie awards.
“We are ever thankful to the many patrons who make us their restaurant of choice.”