St Albans and Harpenden restaurant group is runner-up in food awards
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans and Harpenden restaurant group is celebrating after being named runners-up in two categories of the 11th annual Observer Food Monthly Awards 2014.
Independent brasserie Lussmanns Fish & Grill Restaurants was selected in the ‘Best Restaurant’ and ‘Best Cheap Eats’ categories of the awards, representing readers’ choices for their ideal place for a special occasion or a reliable local stand-by (Lussmanns St Albans - Best Restaurant) and their money-saving favourite for a tremendous meal for under £15 (Lussmanns Harpenden - Best Cheap Eats).
The overall winners in these two categories were The Ledbury (London W11) and Silk Road (London SE5).
Since their creation in 2003, the Observer Food Monthly Awards have championed the best in British food and drink, from independent local producers to the UK’s most admired chefs.
The esteemed panel of judges includes Tom Kerridge, Russell Norman and Tom Kitchen.
The winners were announced at a show-stopping ceremony at the Freemasons’ Hall in London, co-hosted by Jay Rayner and The Great British Bake Off presenter Sue Perkins, where chef’s knives trophies made by Ben Edmunds were presented.
Introducing the awards in The Observer, judge Nigel Slater said: “Britain’s most inspired and enterprising food is to be found from one end of the land to the other.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 8 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
“More than ever this year our awards reflect that.
“Applause is due to all our winners wherever they work, farm and cook, and to the thousands of you who voted in this year’s awards. As always your votes are crucial and much appreciated.”
Owner Andrei Lussmann said: “Once again, I am both honoured and humbled to make runner-up in these prestigious annual foodie awards.
“We are ever thankful to the many patrons who make us their restaurant of choice.”