St Albans and Harpenden Remainers to join national People’s Vote march
- Credit: Archant
St Albans and Harpenden Remainers are joining a national Brexit march to demand a People’s Vote.
It comes amid highly controversial votes in the Commons, with MPs first rejecting Prime Minister Theresa May’s Withdrawal Agreement, then rejecting a No Deal Brexit, and finally backing an extension to Article 50.
Harpenden For Europe (HfE) and St Albans For Europe (StAfE) are urging people to join them on the Put It To The People March in Central London on March 23, days before the UK is scheduled to leave the EU.
Secretary of StAfE, Helen Campbell, said the situation was a “national embarrassment”: “Brexit, as expected, is in complete and utter disarray. Theresa May is floundering around, desperately trying to bribe MPs to vote for her appalling deal, while other ministers scramble to blame the EU and, soon, each other.”
Chair of HfE, Richard Scott, added: “When politicians on all sides have botched the process, it’s time to put it to the people.”
You may also want to watch:
StAfE will meet at St Albans City station at 10am and HfE group will meet at Harpenden station at 10.15am.
- 1 Crack dealers arrested at playing fields
- 2 Far-right group condemns black Jesus painting at St Albans Cathedral
- 3 May 17th: The Ivy in St Albans is ready to welcome back customers
- 4 Is Bricket Wood being over-developed?
- 5 Area Guide: Harpenden's vibrant Southdown neighbourhood
- 6 Seven-up for Devine as Colney Heath reach final of spring cup
- 7 Colney Heath up for the cup says boss but plan is also to carry form into next year
- 8 Celebrating post-war football's local legends
- 9 “It’s behind you” – Beloved Bob Golding bids a fond farewell to Arena panto
- 10 May 17: What can open when COVID-19 lockdown rules ease