St Albans and Harpenden celebrate Royal Wedding in style
CELEBRATIONS took place across the district to mark the Royal Wedding last week.
More than 60 street parties and numerous other garden parties took place in and around St Albans and Harpenden on the day of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding – outdoing all other areas in Herts and the majority of the country for Royal Wedding spirit.
At New Greens Residents Club, which held a party with an endless list of activities in partnership with Christ Church, youth and community worker Martin Podmore – known as Pod – undertook a charity head shave.
In Prae Close, St Michael’s Village, festivities included a balloon race and one was later found by a girl at a street party 40 miles away in Tadley, Hampshire, around an hour and a half later.
Meanwhile, in Pennycroft, Harpenden, a street party with more than 200 guests kicked off late in the afternoon with children’s entertainment followed by a band performance into the night.
You may also want to watch:
More than �500 was raised for Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) in memory of organiser Brian Turberville’s seven-year-old granddaughter Hannah who died suddenly in 2007.
In the run up to the Royal Wedding, schools and nurseries across the district also held their own Royal Wedding parties and on Thursday the Abbey Primary School staged a mock wedding at St Albans Abbey conducted by sub dean Rev Canon Stephen Lake. It was followed by a wedding breakfast for the children back at the school.
- 1 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 2 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
- 3 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 4 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Call from St Albans Museum for start of Ramadan
- 7 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 8 St Albans-based pharmacy association celebrates centenary
- 9 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area