St Albans named second most adulterous city in the UK
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
St Albans has been named as the second most adulterous city in the UK.
According to IllicitEncounters.com, 9.12 per cent of supposedly monogamous people in this historic city are cheating on their partners.
That is 5,015 people in relationships actively looking to cheat on the dating website for married people.
Last year St Albans ranked top on the Infidelity Index for just Hertfordshire, with 3.25 per cent of people having affairs, but this new rank is unprecedented nationally - the city has jumped up 34 places from 36th place.
In comparison, only about ten miles south, Watford is the eighth most faithful town in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Hemel Hempstead and Stevenage also feature on the list of shame, but much lower, ranking 83rd and 24th respectively.
The only town to top St Albans this year is Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
IllicitEncounters.com calculated the figures by mapping the addresses of its members against the adult population of each town, giving an overall percentage of cheating adults, along with each town’s overall number of adulterers.
The site’s spokesperson, Christian Grant, said: “Oh dear. We’ve been running the Infidelity Index for a few years now, but St Albans’ jump from 36th place to second in the space of a year is unprecedented.
“It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why this may be the case, but we can make some educated guesses. With house prices in and around London continuing to rise, many people in an unhappy marriage find the economic implications of a divorce too scary to contemplate, especially in today’s economy.
“Combine that with the fact that St Albans is within easy reach of the nation’s capital, and it’s safe to say that its population isn’t exactly spoilt for choice.
“On the plus side, as the eighth most faithful town in the UK, Watford is doing a stellar job of redeeming Hertfordshire’s reputation somewhat.
“For the seemingly unhappily married couples of St Albans, let’s hope for a better 2019.”
See the whole list at www.infidelityindex.co.uk