St Albans 12-year-old shaves her head to raise money for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A 12-year-old had her head shaved last week and donated her hair to raise money for a cancer charity.
Lois Powell, 12, of St Albans, had her long locks chopped on Tuesday (16) and donated her hair to the Little Princess Trust, which make wigs for young children suffering with hair loss.
She will also donate the money raised, which currently totals more than £600, to Macmillan Cancer Support as part of their national ‘Brave the Shave’ campaign.
Her mum, Norma Powell, was initially nervous when Lois told her what she wanted to do. She said: “It took me a few weeks to agree to the head shave. She was sure she wanted to do it but I was worried she would hate it and she is only 12. Once I had said yes I was really happy about it but still nervous.”
The shave took place at Stanborough Lakes and she was surrounded by friends and family. Norma added: “I felt much better knowing her friends were there to support her and cheer her on. Everyone at the lakes was so supportive. In fact we raised over £90 just on that day from people there.
You may also want to watch:
“I was deeply proud of her, not only for coming up with the plan to do something selfless and great but also the way she smiled through it.”
If you would like to sponsor Lois visit: https://bravetheshave.org.uk/shavers/lois-powell/
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire