St Albans 12-year-old to make West End debut
- Credit: Archant
A young St Albans actress will make her West End debut in a new musical about a famous singer.
Emily Perra has been cast as a young Gloria in a production about multiple Grammy award-winning couple Emilio and Gloria Estefan, called On Your Feet.
The show will open at Leicester’s Curve Theatre from June 3 to 8, before moving to the London Coliseum from June 14 to August 31.
Featuring hits such as Rhythm is Gonna Get You, Conga, and Don’t Want To Lose You Now, the story charts the Estefans’ journey to international stardom.
Twelve-year-old Emily has been interested in drama since she was about six years old, training at StageArts Theatre School, The Dance studio, and SASA.
You may also want to watch:
She went up against 60 other young actresses in three separate auditions to get the part.
Emily’s mum, Claudia Perra, said: “She has definitely got the moves and she doesn’t get nervous, she is so natural. I am very happy and she is very excited. I feel very proud of her.”
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
This is not Emily’s first acting appearance - she was cast in a National Geographic documentary and in a Christmas TV advert for a online fashion retailer called Zalando.
Claudia said Emily is well grounded and modest about her achievements. The Loreto College pupil is represented by AM Kids Agency in Bedford.
Principal of StageArts, Catherine Geoghegan, said: “Emily is a dedicated and hardworking student who was made for the West End stage.
“All of us at StageArts Theatre School and AM Kids Agency are so proud of her achievement and can’t wait to see her shine in the show. This is one little star you will be seeing more of in the future, I’m certain.”
Emily played Muriel in last year’s Alban Arena pantomime, Cinderella. She is sharing the West End role with two other young actresses, Klaudia Gjergji and Holly McDonagh.
Considered the Queen of Latin Pop, Gloria Estefan won her first Grammy in 1993 in the Best Tropical Latin Album category with her Mi Tierra release.
Emilio Estefan formed the Miami Latin Boys in the 1970s, but when Gloria joined the group it changed to the Miami Sound Machine.