Sports village reopens in Hertfordshire after legionella bacteria found
- Credit: Archant
Residents in St Albans who use a popular sports centre near the district will be relieved to know that it is reopening tonight (Thursday) after a temporary closure.
Following routine legionella testing, Hertfordshire Sports Village in Hatfield took a “precautionary approach” and closed earlier today.
However, the facility is reopening tonight at 8pm.
The centre has apologised to its customers for the unexpected closure, and the “inconvenience caused”.
A spokesman explained: “Routine tests in Hertfordshire Sports Village indicated the presence of the lowest risk strain of the legionella bacteria, which is commonly found in water facilities.
“We took immediate precautionary action in closing an area of the Sports Village and have tested the limited number of affected areas.
All our facilities will reopen at 8pm tonight and will revert to normal opening hours from 6.30am on Friday August 5, but with restricted access to some areas.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
“We anticipate the entire Sports Village will be fully open in the next 48-72 hours when all testing has been completed.
“The health and safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority and we can reassure all of our customers that no one using the facilities has been put at risk in any way.”
• For up-to-date information see www.hertssportsvillage.co.uk/