Sports village reopens in Hertfordshire after legionella bacteria found
- Credit: Archant
Residents in St Albans who use a popular sports centre near the district will be relieved to know that it is reopening tonight (Thursday) after a temporary closure.
Following routine legionella testing, Hertfordshire Sports Village in Hatfield took a “precautionary approach” and closed earlier today.
However, the facility is reopening tonight at 8pm.
The centre has apologised to its customers for the unexpected closure, and the “inconvenience caused”.
A spokesman explained: “Routine tests in Hertfordshire Sports Village indicated the presence of the lowest risk strain of the legionella bacteria, which is commonly found in water facilities.
“We took immediate precautionary action in closing an area of the Sports Village and have tested the limited number of affected areas.
All our facilities will reopen at 8pm tonight and will revert to normal opening hours from 6.30am on Friday August 5, but with restricted access to some areas.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Youths 'kicked and threw stones' at pregnant hedgehog in Hertfordshire
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 6 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 7 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 8 The Midwich Cuckoos: Keeley Hawes on Sky's gripping new drama adapted from John Wyndham’s sci-fi novel
- 9 Woman 'sexually assaulted by two men' near River Lea in Wheathampstead
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
“We anticipate the entire Sports Village will be fully open in the next 48-72 hours when all testing has been completed.
“The health and safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority and we can reassure all of our customers that no one using the facilities has been put at risk in any way.”
• For up-to-date information see www.hertssportsvillage.co.uk/