Sports stars feature in Harpenden photographer’s new book
- Credit: Marc Aspland. The Times
Lord’s Cricket Ground will tonight (Thursday) host the launch of a book featuring the work of a highly regarded Harpenden photographer, who is still recovering from a brain haemorrhage after a cycling accident.
For about a quarter of a century Marc Aspland, 50, chief sports photographer of The Times, has been capturing the highs and lows, and plenty of drama, from the sporting world.
Prominent athletes appearing in his 144-page book The Art of Sports Photography include David Beckham, Usain Bolt, Rafael Nadal, Mike Tyson, Jessica Ennis and Roger Federer.
The book, which has contributions from Jonny Wilkinson and sports journalist Oliver Holt, focuses on historical moments from some of the most important international sporting events such as Wimbledon, Formula 1 and the Olympics.
Marc described his book as a “sideways look at sport”.
You may also want to watch:
It features referee Joe Cortez removing the gumshield of Ricky Hatton after he was knocked out in the 10th round by Floyd Mayweather Jr at the MGM Grand Hotel Arena, in 2007.
Included are shots of Nadal holding aloft the Wimbledon trophy in 2008, after beating Federer.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
Marc said that this photo hangs on the wall of Nadal’s home in Majorca.
The award-winning photographer is still recuperating in Harpenden after an accident in Ox Lane, Harpenden, on Friday April 11.
He was treated for severe head injuries, nerve damage and two broken collar bones after being found lying unconscious on the side of the road.
Marc was told by specialists that his injuries were similar to those suffered in a traffic collision and he suspects he was the victim of a hit-and-run.
A multitude of sports stars including Nadal, Andy Murray and England footballers have offered their support by sending him “get well soon” messages on Twitter.
The Art of Sports Photography, is published by Prestel.