Sports stars feature in Harpenden photographer’s new book
- Credit: Marc Aspland. The Times
Lord’s Cricket Ground will tonight (Thursday) host the launch of a book featuring the work of a highly regarded Harpenden photographer, who is still recovering from a brain haemorrhage after a cycling accident.
For about a quarter of a century Marc Aspland, 50, chief sports photographer of The Times, has been capturing the highs and lows, and plenty of drama, from the sporting world.
Prominent athletes appearing in his 144-page book The Art of Sports Photography include David Beckham, Usain Bolt, Rafael Nadal, Mike Tyson, Jessica Ennis and Roger Federer.
The book, which has contributions from Jonny Wilkinson and sports journalist Oliver Holt, focuses on historical moments from some of the most important international sporting events such as Wimbledon, Formula 1 and the Olympics.
Marc described his book as a “sideways look at sport”.
It features referee Joe Cortez removing the gumshield of Ricky Hatton after he was knocked out in the 10th round by Floyd Mayweather Jr at the MGM Grand Hotel Arena, in 2007.
Included are shots of Nadal holding aloft the Wimbledon trophy in 2008, after beating Federer.
- 1 Woman assaulted by teenage boys in Hemel Hempstead underpass
- 2 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 3 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 4 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 5 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 6 St Albans District pupils power to success in the pool
- 7 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 8 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 9 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 10 Bahá’ís bring bench to St Albans parkland
Marc said that this photo hangs on the wall of Nadal’s home in Majorca.
The award-winning photographer is still recuperating in Harpenden after an accident in Ox Lane, Harpenden, on Friday April 11.
He was treated for severe head injuries, nerve damage and two broken collar bones after being found lying unconscious on the side of the road.
Marc was told by specialists that his injuries were similar to those suffered in a traffic collision and he suspects he was the victim of a hit-and-run.
A multitude of sports stars including Nadal, Andy Murray and England footballers have offered their support by sending him “get well soon” messages on Twitter.
The Art of Sports Photography, is published by Prestel.