Spooky moth catches the eye at Chiswell Green’s Butterfly World
WITH Halloween fast approaching during half term holiday week, children were particularly fascinated by a moth in the insect study centre at Butterfly World.
For the Death’s Head Hawk Moth is not only featured on the motif for the film Silence of the Lambs but it also has a skull and crossbones on its thorax.
The moth, a native species which develops from a four-inch long caterpillar found in many gardens, was one of a number on show in the insect study centre which opened at the Chiswell Green attraction this summer.
A spokesperson for Butterfly World said it had attracted hundreds of visitors daily in the last week of the season which was extended to take in the school half term holiday.
Butterfly World laid on numerous events for children including apple pressing, making pumpkin lanterns, a mask workshop and face painting as well as story-telling sessions
You may also want to watch:
The only day which was disappointing was the family fun day on Sunday – Halloween itself – which was hit by the poor weather.
Although Butterfly World is now closed as a daily attraction, the caf� is remaining open and will be hosting a number of events.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
A Christmas gift fair is being held from today until Sunday which has around 120 trade stands selling everything from handmade British crafts to gifts and festive food.
There will also be cookery demonstrations, a children’s make ‘n’ take area and beer and wine tasting.
On Sunday (7) there will be a fireworks and music extravaganza at Butterfly World from 5.30pm with tickets available by calling 01727 869203 or go to www.allaboutstalbans.com