Sponsorship the ideal wedding present for couple
GUESTS at the wedding of James and Rachel Sangster did not have to worry about what to buy a couple who had been together for 10 years. For the two, who live in St Albans, had already told them that instead of presents, they would like their guests to spo
GUESTS at the wedding of James and Rachel Sangster did not have to worry about what to buy a couple who had been together for 10 years.
For the two, who live in St Albans, had already told them that instead of presents, they would like their guests to sponsor them to run for Cancer Research UK in this weekend's Flora London Marathon.
James and Rachel will be among more than 1,500 runners out of the thousands taking part, who will help to raise £1.5 million for the charity in the marathon on Sunday.
The couple have already raised £4,500 between them for Cancer Research UK and don't rule out raising even more from work colleagues and friends who did not attend the wedding.
Members of both their families have been affected by cancer, with Rachel's father Chris Magher dying from the disease six years ago.
Neither Rachel, aged 33, a former IT engineer and now a student in the second year of a three-year degree course in animal behaviour, nor James, 34, a naval engineer, have run a marathon before.
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 5 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 6 Herts Ad Sunday League mourns passing of two local legends
- 7 Big Brother House set to return to Hertfordshire for 2023 reboot show
- 8 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 10 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
Rachel said: "We go out training about three times a week and do a longer run at the weekend. I have done a bit of running before but James started from scratch.
"But we also wanted an opportunity to raise money to support the research needed to help find a cure and to reduce the pain of millions of families affected by the disease."
Anyone wishing to sponsor James and Rachel should go to www.justgiving.com/jimandrach