Spiritual help can pick up the pieces at Grove House
A SPIRITUAL Care Team at Grove House is there to pick up the pieces following a diagnosis of cancer which can affect people on both a physical and emotional level. Andrew Pattman is the spiritual care lead at the hospice, looking after a team of eight tra
A SPIRITUAL Care Team at Grove House is there to pick up the pieces following a diagnosis of cancer which can affect people on both a physical and emotional level.
Andrew Pattman is the spiritual care lead at the hospice, looking after a team of eight trained volunteers who work with patients on a regular basis.
He explained: "The spiritual care we offer here at Grove House is a very important addition to the all-round support we give our patients. The service is not prescriptive in any way; it is very much patient led and we work with people at their own pace."
He continued: "During the day, the spiritual care volunteers are on hand to talk but more importantly to listen to patients. The whole emphasis of what we do is letting patients speak and really listening to them. We are not there to solve every problem, we are there to be alongside people in their journey and offer companionship."
Grove House is looking for more volunteers to help with this area of care. Andrew said: "Our volunteers come from a wide range of backgrounds and experience, they need good communication and listening skills and a genuine interest in people. The volunteers work in pairs and as new volunteers join they are mentored for the first three months to help them feel part of the team."
Liz Cooke, one of the volunteers, has been working with the team for over two years now and sees her role as drawing alongside people and trying somehow to journey with them as they try to grapple with their spiritual self and understanding of life: "I do not see myself as having answers for them but simply hope somehow to walk alongside them in their journey and stand with them as they search for meaning at a difficult time. I love my days at Grove House - I leave enriched and challenged and inspired."
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 6 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 7 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 8 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 9 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 10 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
Anyone interested in finding out more about the role with Grove House is asked to phone Wendy Burns on 01727 731020 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk