Speed limit cut to 20mph on school roads
THE SPEED limit on two roads leading to schools is being cut in a bid to make the routes safer for pupils. Mandeville Drive and Watling View in St Albans will go from having a 30mph limit to 20mph zones as part of Herts Highways Safer Routes to School sc
THE SPEED limit on two roads leading to schools is being cut in a bid to make the routes safer for pupils.
Mandeville Drive and Watling View in St Albans will go from having a 30mph limit to 20mph zones as part of Herts Highways' Safer Routes to School scheme, which aims to cut congestion around schools.
The slower limit will benefit pupils travelling to Mandeville Primary and St Adrians RC Primary and Nursery, and it's hoped that it will encourage parents to leave their cars at home and walk or cycle with their children to school.
As part of the £110,000 scheme, traffic-calming measures designed to slow vehicles have also been installed on both routes and footway improvements have been undertaken around Mandeville.
You may also want to watch:
A pupil at Mandeville designed a logo included in the 20 mph warning signs at either end of Mandeville Drive.
Herts Highways strategy development manager Andrew Freeman said: "Hopefully parents will be happier to encourage their children to walk or cycle back to school after the holiday as the roads become 20 mph zones. The schools all worked with us on the scheme and were keen to see the speed limit reduced to improve road safety.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 9 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor