Soccer Aid star keeps it up in St Albans
A 28-year-old who is using his head, body and feet to raise money for charity has visited St Albans on his mammoth 186-mile trek from Wembley to footy-mad Manchester.
Dan Magness embarked on the 10-day keepy-uppy challenge, which will see him walk for up to 11 hours a day, to raise money for UNICEF in a new world record attempt for Soccer Aid 2012.
He started his journey at Wembley Stadium on Tuesday, May 1, and will walk an estimated 400,000 steps while keeping the ball off the ground using his head, body and feet.
Dan was in St Albans on Wednesday, May 2, before walking on to Milton Keynes, Daventry, Coventry, Birmingham, Stoke-on-Trent and Macclesfield, ending his attempt in Manchester on May 11.
Keep it up for Soccer Aid was launched by Robbie Williams in 2010, and Dan’s record-breaking attempt is just one of hundreds of challenges throughout the country over the next six weeks.
UNICEF delivers health care, nutrition, education and protection to children in urgent need and relies on voluntary donations.
Dan admitted it is the “craziest” challenge he has ever undertaken.
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 4 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 5 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 9 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
- 10 Woodland access saved by Chiswell Green campaigner
He added: “I can’t actually get my head around the fact that I am about to try and get from London to Manchester while keeping up a ball, but I’m hoping that my challenge raises loads of money for UNICEF’s vital work saving children’s lives.
“The trick for me will be to relax, focus on the ball and enjoy it.”
Soccer Aid 2012 will be on ITV 1 on Sunday, May s27, hosted by Dermot O’Leary.