Snow closes schools and disrupts travel in the St Albans district
HEAVY and continuing snow has led to the closure of most schools in the St Albans district. Head teachers take the decision to close and generally notify local radio stations to put the word out but around 100 across Herts have also told the county counc
HEAVY and continuing snow has led to the closure of most schools in the St Albans district.
Head teachers take the decision to close and generally notify local radio stations to put the word out but around 100 across Herts have also told the county council that they have not opened today.
They include St George's and Roundwood Park Schools in Harpenden and St Albans Girls, Beaumont, Verulam, Sandringham and Nicholas Breakspear together with most of the primaries.
Many side roads, particularly on slopes and hills, are impassable because of the weather which is expected to get worse as the day goes on but gritters and snow ploughs are out throughout the county.
You may also want to watch:
A number of minor accidents have been reported in and around London Road in St Albans and a milk float has spilled its bottles after toppling over at the junction of Cottonmill Lane and Watson's Walk in St Albans.
First Capital Connect services south of the Thames are all suspended and there is a reduced service north which includes St Albans City, Harpenden and Radlett. The train company is advising people not to travel if they don't need to.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans