Snow closes schools and disrupts travel in the St Albans district
HEAVY and continuing snow has led to the closure of most schools in the St Albans district. Head teachers take the decision to close and generally notify local radio stations to put the word out but around 100 across Herts have also told the county counc
HEAVY and continuing snow has led to the closure of most schools in the St Albans district.
Head teachers take the decision to close and generally notify local radio stations to put the word out but around 100 across Herts have also told the county council that they have not opened today.
They include St George's and Roundwood Park Schools in Harpenden and St Albans Girls, Beaumont, Verulam, Sandringham and Nicholas Breakspear together with most of the primaries.
Many side roads, particularly on slopes and hills, are impassable because of the weather which is expected to get worse as the day goes on but gritters and snow ploughs are out throughout the county.
A number of minor accidents have been reported in and around London Road in St Albans and a milk float has spilled its bottles after toppling over at the junction of Cottonmill Lane and Watson's Walk in St Albans.
First Capital Connect services south of the Thames are all suspended and there is a reduced service north which includes St Albans City, Harpenden and Radlett. The train company is advising people not to travel if they don't need to.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival