Snow closes schools and disrupts travel in the St Albans district
HEAVY and continuing snow has led to the closure of most schools in the St Albans district. Head teachers take the decision to close and generally notify local radio stations to put the word out but around 100 across Herts have also told the county counc
HEAVY and continuing snow has led to the closure of most schools in the St Albans district.
Head teachers take the decision to close and generally notify local radio stations to put the word out but around 100 across Herts have also told the county council that they have not opened today.
They include St George's and Roundwood Park Schools in Harpenden and St Albans Girls, Beaumont, Verulam, Sandringham and Nicholas Breakspear together with most of the primaries.
Many side roads, particularly on slopes and hills, are impassable because of the weather which is expected to get worse as the day goes on but gritters and snow ploughs are out throughout the county.
You may also want to watch:
A number of minor accidents have been reported in and around London Road in St Albans and a milk float has spilled its bottles after toppling over at the junction of Cottonmill Lane and Watson's Walk in St Albans.
First Capital Connect services south of the Thames are all suspended and there is a reduced service north which includes St Albans City, Harpenden and Radlett. The train company is advising people not to travel if they don't need to.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style