Smoke scare at St Albans gym
Firefighters were called to a St Albans Nuffield Health gym yesterday lunchtime (August 23) after reports of smoke in the ladies changing room.
Surprised members had to be evacuated from the fitness centre on Highfield Park Drive.
The smoke is believed to have started in the sauna room from a build up of dust and lint in the bottom of a heater.
Lava bricks in the sauna are also thought to have been smouldering however they didn’t catch fire.
St Albans fire service used a thermal imaging camera to see what the issue was and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke from the room.
The smoke was successfully cleared just before 2pm.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 9 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023