Smoke scare at St Albans gym

PUBLISHED: 12:24 24 August 2012

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

Firefighters were called to a St Albans Nuffield Health gym yesterday lunchtime (August 23) after reports of smoke in the ladies changing room.

Surprised members had to be evacuated from the fitness centre on Highfield Park Drive.

The smoke is believed to have started in the sauna room from a build up of dust and lint in the bottom of a heater.

Lava bricks in the sauna are also thought to have been smouldering however they didn’t catch fire.

St Albans fire service used a thermal imaging camera to see what the issue was and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke from the room.

The smoke was successfully cleared just before 2pm.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser