Smoke alarm saves Harpenden couple’s lives
- Credit: Darryl Keen
A Harpenden couple narrowly dodged disaster after a fire alarm alerted them to a blaze in their house last weekend.
Fire crews were called to the Sherwood Rise home just after 3am on Saturday, September 14 to extinguish the flames, which had spread to two other properties.
An ambulance was called at around 5am for a member of the public suffering from smoke inhalation, while two other casualties refused to go to hospital and were treated at the scene.
Station commander Jon Smith said: “The occupants were found to be safe and well and had been alerted by the smoke detectors that had been installed in the property.
“This has without doubt saved their lives. The Red Cross vehicle made an attendance and provided help and support to nearby residents and to the couple who were affected.
“The fire service have made the scene safe working and worked with building regulators to ensure the building is left in a state that is fit and safe.”
- 1 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 4 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 5 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products