Smoke alarm saves Harpenden couple’s lives

PUBLISHED: 11:15 16 September 2013 | UPDATED: 16:38 16 September 2013

The blaze in Sherwood Rise, Harpenden

The blaze in Sherwood Rise, Harpenden


A Harpenden couple narrowly dodged disaster after a fire alarm alerted them to a blaze in their house last weekend.

Fire crews were called to the Sherwood Rise home just after 3am on Saturday, September 14 to extinguish the flames, which had spread to two other properties.

An ambulance was called at around 5am for a member of the public suffering from smoke inhalation, while two other casualties refused to go to hospital and were treated at the scene.

Station commander Jon Smith said: “The occupants were found to be safe and well and had been alerted by the smoke detectors that had been installed in the property.

“This has without doubt saved their lives. The Red Cross vehicle made an attendance and provided help and support to nearby residents and to the couple who were affected.

“The fire service have made the scene safe working and worked with building regulators to ensure the building is left in a state that is fit and safe.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser