Smash and grab raid at St Albans jewellers - updated
POLICE are currently on the scene at Christopher Wharton Jewellers in St Albans following a suspected smash and grab raid.
The jewellers in George Street is surrounded by officers and the police helicopter is patrolling overhead.
A side window has been smashed and it appears as though something may have been pulled through a hole.
It is believed police pursued the offenders down Waddington Road.
A police spokesman said: “Police are investigating an incident that occurred at a jewellers in George Street, St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
“We were called at 9.48am today and officers are currently on the scene trying to establish the exact circumstances around what happened.”
This is not the first time the shop has been raided.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
In 2006, a gang of robbers armed with a handgun threatened to kill terrified staff before escaping with watches worth �180,000, and in 2008 a number of Rolex watches were swiped from the store.
More updates as they become available.