Smallford Station’s past in the spotlight
PUBLISHED: 18:00 10 March 2015
FACS (Finchley Amateur Ciné Society)
‘Bringing the history of Smallford Station to life’ is the title of a new exhibition which runs at the Museum of St Albans until April 2.
The exhibition explores the history of the local station on the Alban Way – which has been in use as a footpath and cycleway between Hatfield and St Albans for three decades.
It is what remains of the branch line built for the Hatfield and St Albans Railway that opened 150 years ago.
In 2012 a group was founded to investigate the history of the Smallford - formerly Springfield - station, which opened in 1866 halfway along the branch line.
Boosted by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the group has completed huge amounts of research and produced the museum exhibition.
• Visit www.smallford.org to see Monty’s Misfortune which shows footage of the station taken in 1933 by Finchley Amateur Ciné Society.