Slight Decrease in Unemployment
JOBLESS figures for the district have marginally declined over the past month. The number of people claiming unemployment benefit during September was 1,747 – a reduction of 33 people compared to the month previous. But jobless numbers are still more than
JOBLESS figures for the district have marginally declined over the past month.
The number of people claiming unemployment benefit during September was 1,747 - a reduction of 33 people compared to the month previous.
But jobless numbers are still more than double what they were in the district this time last year.
Of last month's claimants, just under 70 per cent were men leaving 553 women searching for work.
You may also want to watch:
And there were less than 600 vacancies at the jobcentre in the district.
The total number of people claiming unemployment benefits in Herts has dropped slightly from 19,953 to 19,727 - three per cent of the county's population.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 4 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 9 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 10 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
The St Albans district the least affected districts after Hertsmere and Three Rivers but Dacorum remains the worst affected, with 3.3 per cent of the population out of work.