Slideshow: Thousands flock to Alban Arena for St Albans Model Railway Exhibition
THOUSANDS of visitors flocked to the Alban Arena last weekend to enjoy the St Albans model railway exhibition. Over 3,000 visitors crammed into the Arena over the course of Saturday (16) and Sunday to see over 70 stands from clubs across the country, incl
THOUSANDS of visitors flocked to the Alban Arena last weekend to enjoy the St Albans model railway exhibition.
Over 3,000 visitors crammed into the Arena over the course of Saturday (16) and Sunday to see over 70 stands from clubs across the country, including working miniature steam engines from the St Albans & District Model Engineering Society.
One of the best layouts on display was The Gresley Beat - based on a line going into Kings Cross Station - and The Chiltern Modern Railway Association (CMRA), which organised the show, awarded the Denis Moore Cup to its creator Cliff Parsons.
CMRA Chairman John Doyland said that he was very impressed with The Gresley Beat: "It was an outstanding layout and thoroughly deserved to win our cup, which is presented each year for the best scenic modelling at the St Albans exhibition. This is our 24th show and they just keep getting better!"
You may also want to watch:
He added: "It was great to see such a wide variety of visitors and I think we set a record for the amount of families who came along on Saturday. It is smashing to see youngsters getting involved - they are the future of the hobby after all.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district