Slideshow: Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles visits St Albans pub as part of Karaoke Roadshow
RADIO 1 DJ Chris Moyles popped by a St Albans pub for a pint and a sing-a-long with 100 locals last Friday. As part of his nationwide Karaoke Roadshow, Chris turned up at Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub on Abbey Mill Lane at 4pm on Friday afternoon and live on
RADIO 1 DJ Chris Moyles popped by a St Albans pub for a pint and a sing-a-long with 100 locals last Friday.
As part of his nationwide Karaoke Roadshow, Chris turned up at Ye Olde Fighting Cocks pub on Abbey Mill Lane at 4pm on Friday afternoon and live on air he promised a free drink to the first 100 radio listeners to join him.
The first person arrived within eight minutes and was warmly greeted by Chris and the rest of the Radio 1 team, who stayed at the pub for three hours to sing karaoke with the St Albans punters and special guest Ricky Wilson from the Kaiser Chiefs.
Manager of the pub Tim Brown, who has been at Ye Olde Fighting Cocks for just under a year, said that he knew about the surprise visit before anyone else: "Radio 1 was interested in our pub because it is the oldest in the country and they came to reccie it just after Christmas. We had to keep a lid on the secret visit for ages!"
He added: "Chris was very polite and even took a turn working behind the bar. The man can certainly pull a pint and, true to his word, he paid for all 100 drinks out of his own pocket - it was quite a hefty bill!"
St Albans resident Claire Hill, aged 21, said that she rushed to the pub from work after one of her colleagues heard the announcement on the radio: "I went straight there with my boyfriend Ben and, because I was the first person to sing Mustang Sally on the karaoke machine, Chris gave me a kiss on the cheek!"
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
She added: "I was pleased with my free pint of lager and the team at the pub were so welcoming and the atmosphere was fantastic. Chris and the rest of Radio 1 sang lots of karaoke and Ricky from the Kaiser Chiefs had a go too.