Sir Ian McKellen at Abbey Theatre, St Albans
THEATRE and film legend Sir Ian McKellen dropped into the Abbey Theatre in St Albans on Saturday night to watch a performance of The Odd Couple. As Patron of the Little Theatre Guild of Great Britain, he had responded to an invitation from Company of Ten
THEATRE and film legend Sir Ian McKellen dropped into the Abbey Theatre in St Albans on Saturday night to watch a performance of The Odd Couple.
As Patron of the Little Theatre Guild of Great Britain, he had responded to an invitation from Company of Ten chairman Paul Davidson to come and see a production during the drama company's 75th season.
And he described the Abbey Theatre at Westminster Lodge as one of the best-equipped Little Theatres in the country and was amazed at the extent and quality of the facilities enjoyed by its members and audiences.
Sir Ian stayed until late and in his own words, had, "a wonderful evening". He admitted to being astonished to learn that the twin auditorium complex, which entertains over 20,000 theatregoers each year, is staffed and maintained almost entirely by volunteers.
The cast of The Odd Couple - Neil Simon's female version of his award-winning play - were unaware that the star of King Lear and Waiting for Godot was in the stalls watching their performance.
They first knew about it was when he came backstage afterwards and was extremely complimentary about what he had seen.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 8 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
He also praised the theatre as a whole and the skill and commitment of everyone involved in its operation.