Sinkhole opens up in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A sinkhole has opened up in St Albans and nearby residents have been evacuated.
A member of the public discovered the sinkhole at 5.50am today in Cedar Court and phoned police.
The sinkhole is on a patch of ground by the block of flats, to the right of an entrance.
Firefighters were called at 6.35am and are currently at the scene.
UK Power Networks was alerted by the fire service at 8.20am and went to disconnect the power for safety reasons.
The sinkhole is located in front of a block of flats, at number 35 to 40 Cedar Court, and residents were evacuated at 6.45am as a precaution.
Structural engineers are also on route to assess the situation.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by