Singing for their supper
LIVE opera and a sumptuous lunch added up to over �15,000 raised for Grove House. More than 120 invited guests enjoyed the fundraising luncheon, now in its third year, which took place at Paddock View, Ayres End Lane, Harpenden, last week. It was organise
LIVE opera and a sumptuous lunch added up to over �15,000 raised for Grove House.
More than 120 invited guests enjoyed the fundraising luncheon, now in its third year, which took place at Paddock View, Ayres End Lane, Harpenden, last week.
It was organised by local fundraisers Chris Berendt, Stephanie Carver, Ethne Ozholl and Louise Miller.
Guests were treated to a Pimms reception in glorious sunshine where they listened to the gentle music of local duo Under the Edge before sitting down to lunch prepared by Chris and her team of expert caterers.
You may also want to watch:
A highlight of the afternoon was the surprise appearance of opera singer Neil Simon and his group NSN Productions who serenaded guests with operatic arias as they dined.
Later guests had the opportunity to bid for prizes in the auction which helped boost the amount raised.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
Louise Miller said: "There are so many people to thank for the success of this afternoon and we are most grateful to the singers and catering staff who gave their time voluntarily." She also thanked Doug Keen who ran the auction and everyone who had donated auction and raffle prizes.
Louise went on: "I have first-hand experience of the amazing work that Grove House does. The care and support offered to local people affected by cancer and life-threatening illness is second to none. We are thrilled that we have managed to raise this much money to help those services continue to grow and expand."
To find out how you can support Grove House or the hospice can help you call 01727 731000 or visit www.grove-house.org.uk