Simultaneous roadworks bring traffic chaos to St Albans city centre
- Credit: Danny Loo
VISITORS to St Albans have faced intermittent gridlock since yesterday (Monday) after three different utility companies began digging up roads on three routes into the city centre.
As a result motorists have suffered lengthy delays through St Albans because St Peter’s Street, Chequer Street, Holywell Hill and the High Street have all had traffic jams, particularly at peak time.
A spokesman for Herts county council said he was unaware of the simultaneous roadworks, referring the Herts Advertiser to a website showing current and planned work.
He said that on St Peter’s Street, UK Power Networks were working on the electricity supply to street lights, digging a 450mm-wide trench. That work was due to end today (Tuesday).
On Holywell Hill, near Prospect Road, sewerage works are being carried out by Thames Water following flooding, which are due to end on Thursday April 25.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile on the High Street, near the junction with London Road, Affinity Water has been doing mains repairs, which are to be completed by tomorrow.
As a result there are multi-way traffic signals in Chequer Street.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 6 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 9 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 10 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
For more information on roadworks, the council has advised motorists to check www.hertsdirect.org/services/transtreets/highways/hhonlineservices/roadworksinfo/worksmapsearch