Sign up now for St Albans Swimathon in aid of Sport Relief
- Credit: Archant
Budding swimmers of the district are being encouraged to get fit and raise money for charity in the world’s biggest swim next month.
Westminster Lodge will be hosting its annual ‘Swimathon’ for Sport Relief between March 18 - 20 alongside 600 other venues nationwide.
Families, friends and individuals can sign up to take on distances ranging from 1.5k to 5k, and can split the lengths among members in whatever way they choose.
Swimathon started in 1986 and in the 30 years since, more than half a million swimmers have taken part and about £40 million has been raised for charity.
Councillor Annie Brewster, St Albans council’s portfolio holder for sport, heritage and leisure, said: “The Swimathon is a marvellous event that promotes two good causes – health and Sport Relief.
You may also want to watch:
“People can have a great time, raise funds for charity and take on an enjoyable physical challenge all at the same time. I am sure there will be a great turn out.”
Teams or individual can sign up to take part in swims between 6pm on Friday, March 18, to 10pm on Sunday, March 20.
- 1 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 2 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square