Don’t flip out, it’s only the return of the pancake race!
- Credit: Archant
Frying pans at the ready! It’s time to register for this year’s great St Albans pancake race.
Local businesses, organisations and charities are invited to enter team for the annual races and compete for the prestigious title of flipping winners.
The first pancake race in St Albans was held nine years ago and it has since become a well-established tradition in the district calendar, with regular crowds of over 200 spectators gathering to watch and cheer the teams on.
Local children and family’s charity Home-Start Herts took on the organisation and running of the event three years ago in conjunction with The Herts Business Independent.
It has generated nearly £2,000 for the charity over the last two years which has gone towards supporting struggling local families.
The festival takes place on Shrove Tuesday, March 5, in the Market Square, in front of St Albans Museum + Gallery. The races will start at 12 noon, and all teams must arrive by 11.30am to sign in.
Teams will have the option of entering the traditional running race or alternatively the Flippin’ Walkers Race if they’ve no taste for speed.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 10 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
This year, there will also be a parents and tots race and a mascot race.
Home-Start Herts strategic manager Suzy Moody said: “This event is just great; it brings the community together, raises the profiles of our local businesses, supports local families in need and is so much fun. I may be biased but I think it is up there as one of St Albans’ best events!”
Simon George, publisher of The Herts Business Independent, added: “We are looking forward to welcoming new teams from local business and organisations as well as the regulars who have been competing for many years.”
Local law firm SA Law is the headline sponsor for the event, and Marilyn Bell from the firm said: “We are very pleased to continue supporting the Pancake Festival Day in St Albans and Home Start Herts who will benefit from this fantastic event!
“We look forward to seeing you at the starting line!”
Entry is £40 per team, although charities can register for free by contacting the Flipping Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for a discount code.
Teams should be made of up of four people and registration is via http://pancake.events/There will be children’s entertainment on the day and a raffle with proceeds going to Home-Start Herts.
Sponsorship opportunities are available - contact email@example.com for information.