Sheriff praises 'vibrant' heritage
HIGH Sheriff of Herts Howard Guard has visited three local museums as part of his tour of the county s heritage. Mr Guard will be visiting more than 40 museums and historical sites across Herts over the next two months in a bid to promote them and highlig
HIGH Sheriff of Herts Howard Guard has visited three local museums as part of his tour of the county's heritage.
Mr Guard will be visiting more than 40 museums and historical sites across Herts over the next two months in a bid to promote them and highlight their importance.
The tour, organised in partnership with the Herts Museums Partnership, saw the High Sheriff visit Verulamium Museum, the Museum of St Albans and the St Albans Organ Theatre.
He said: "In Herts we have many dozens of high-tec companies that rival any in the Silicon Valley. We burst with innovation and enterprise and we are surrounded by commercial success but how many of us know that Herts hosts 43 museums, all richly diverse and all of tremendous interest - I didn't until I visited the museum stand at the Herts Show last year.
You may also want to watch:
"How many of us know that St Albans Abbey has debatably the longest nave in the country and the finest remaining Norman Tower? The reality is that Herts remains an undiscovered secret for many people who just see it as a place to drive through, commute from, or occupy during office hours. Our heritage is equal to the vibrancy of our companies - we just need to open the door to let people see it."
Cllr John Donne, chair of the Herts Museum Partnership, said that he hoped the tour would raise the profile of museums with their local councils and funders to help encourage future support.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
For more information visit www.hertsmuseums.org.uk