Sheriff praises 'vibrant' heritage
HIGH Sheriff of Herts Howard Guard has visited three local museums as part of his tour of the county s heritage. Mr Guard will be visiting more than 40 museums and historical sites across Herts over the next two months in a bid to promote them and highlig
HIGH Sheriff of Herts Howard Guard has visited three local museums as part of his tour of the county's heritage.
Mr Guard will be visiting more than 40 museums and historical sites across Herts over the next two months in a bid to promote them and highlight their importance.
The tour, organised in partnership with the Herts Museums Partnership, saw the High Sheriff visit Verulamium Museum, the Museum of St Albans and the St Albans Organ Theatre.
He said: "In Herts we have many dozens of high-tec companies that rival any in the Silicon Valley. We burst with innovation and enterprise and we are surrounded by commercial success but how many of us know that Herts hosts 43 museums, all richly diverse and all of tremendous interest - I didn't until I visited the museum stand at the Herts Show last year.
"How many of us know that St Albans Abbey has debatably the longest nave in the country and the finest remaining Norman Tower? The reality is that Herts remains an undiscovered secret for many people who just see it as a place to drive through, commute from, or occupy during office hours. Our heritage is equal to the vibrancy of our companies - we just need to open the door to let people see it."
Cllr John Donne, chair of the Herts Museum Partnership, said that he hoped the tour would raise the profile of museums with their local councils and funders to help encourage future support.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 6 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 7 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 8 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 9 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
For more information visit www.hertsmuseums.org.uk