Sharp fall in number of hospital superbug infections
A SHARP decline in the number of infections at local hospitals has been highlighted in a report. West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust (WHHT) has seen a dramatic reduction in infections such as MRSA and C.Diff in their annual infection control report. In April t
A SHARP decline in the number of infections at local hospitals has been highlighted in a report.
West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust (WHHT) has seen a dramatic reduction in infections such as MRSA and C.Diff in their annual infection control report.
In April to July 2008 the trust had seven cases of MRSA and 26 cases of C.Diff, compared to 15 cases of MRSA and 212 cases of C.Diff during the same period last year.
None of the cases has been at St Albans City Hospital as all patients booked into the Elective Care Centre for treatment are screened for infection.
The Trust claims it has achieved the results through reducing the prescription of certain antibiotics which lower immunity, reinforcing hand hygiene, weekly hygiene audits and the opening of isolation wards.
Graham Ramsay, the medical director of the Trust, said: "I am delighted with the improvement shown by the Trust. Our figures have improved dramatically faster than practically anyone else in the country from being one of the worst performing Trusts in the country last year to being among one of the best. As a Trust we take infection control extremely seriously and over the last year everyone has worked hard to reduce cases of infection."
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 5 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
He added: "We are pleased with the positive progress we are making in combating infection and will continue to reinforce the message that good hygiene is good practice and is the responsibility of everyone in the Trust.