Shameful state of road repairs in St Albans road
- Credit: Archant
A “ghastly black sludge” is how residents of a St Albans road have described the new surface laid by council contractors recently.
Workmen spent two days working on the once light-coloured Abbey View Road but residents say they would prefer the surface to have been left untouched, potholes and all. Resident Chris Rolfe, 77, said: “We’d rather they had not done it at all. I mean, why should a conservation area be made to look so ugly?
“We want our old road back; it’s absolutely outrageous.”
The street, which lies in the heart of the St Albans conservation area, has views of the Abbey with strict rules laid down about preserving the area’s architectural and historical heritage.
Chris, a part-time lecturer, said a council officer had visited the city centre street and expressed his dissatisfaction at the contractor’s work.
You may also want to watch:
Another resident Tracey Lassell said: “Apparently this kind of road surface will need time to settle but a few days later a council refuse truck drove over it, picked up a lump of tar and deposited it a few metres down the road.
“I’d like to see it ripped up and started again. We had a light-coloured road before and now it’s a horrible dark colour.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
A spokesperson for Herts county council said: “Unfortunately the recent re-surfacing work in Abbey View Road, St Albans, was not carried out to the high standards we expect.
“The contractor will be carrying out remedial works to the site rectify the issues. This work will be done at the expense of the contractor.”
More problems with road repairs in this week’s Herts Ad.