Sewage spill as motorist runs over pipeline
AN operation to pump out sewage from a manhole after a sewer collapse in a neighbouring road fell foul of a motorist on Friday morning. The unsuspecting driver damaged a temporary surface pipe in Bedford Road which was being used to pump out sewage follow
AN operation to pump out sewage from a manhole after a sewer collapse in a neighbouring road fell foul of a motorist on Friday morning.
The unsuspecting driver damaged a temporary surface pipe in Bedford Road which was being used to pump out sewage following the collapse in London Road while driving along Bedford Road at around 9.30am.
The fractured pipe caused sewage to spew out all over the road, going onto the pavement as well as pouring down a private road before Thames Water Authority (TWA) arrived to repair the damage.
The problems had started when a sewer collapsed in London Road more than a week ago and initially TWA was overpumping from one manhole to another along there.
But in order for a permanent repair to be carried out, they moved the pumping to Bedford Road using an overland pipe.
A spokesperson for TWA said this week that they had not been aware what had caused the pipe in Bedford Road to fracture but as soon as they were alerted to it, they turned out to clear up the spill and carry out repairs.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area