Service for former Harpenden mayor
- Credit: Archant
Former Harpenden Town Mayor Gordon Leadbeater will be commemorated in a celebration of his life next week, following his death last month.
Mr Leadbeater, who was first elected a councillor in May 1999 following a successful business career, passed away at Luton & Dunstable Hospital on Sunday, February 26.
His daughter Jane said: “We are devastated by the loss of our father, followed so closely after mum.”
Mr Leadbeater’s wife, Diana, passed away in January.
Jane said: “We feel that in many ways he died of a broken heart.”
Mr Leadbeater became town mayor a year after being elected to council, serving from May 2000 to May 2001.
During his time as mayor, he served as chair of the policy and finance committee, one of the many committees and working parties he worked on, which also included the planning committee.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 9 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
After retiring in 2003, Mr Leadbeater’s granddaughter Hannah Elledge tragically died after being hit by a Jeep in America.
The service to celebrate his life will be held at St Nicholas Church in Harpenden, where Mr Leadbeater sang with the choir for many years, at 2.30pm on Friday, March 17.