Service for former Harpenden mayor
- Credit: Archant
Former Harpenden Town Mayor Gordon Leadbeater will be commemorated in a celebration of his life next week, following his death last month.
Mr Leadbeater, who was first elected a councillor in May 1999 following a successful business career, passed away at Luton & Dunstable Hospital on Sunday, February 26.
His daughter Jane said: “We are devastated by the loss of our father, followed so closely after mum.”
Mr Leadbeater’s wife, Diana, passed away in January.
Jane said: “We feel that in many ways he died of a broken heart.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Leadbeater became town mayor a year after being elected to council, serving from May 2000 to May 2001.
During his time as mayor, he served as chair of the policy and finance committee, one of the many committees and working parties he worked on, which also included the planning committee.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
After retiring in 2003, Mr Leadbeater’s granddaughter Hannah Elledge tragically died after being hit by a Jeep in America.
The service to celebrate his life will be held at St Nicholas Church in Harpenden, where Mr Leadbeater sang with the choir for many years, at 2.30pm on Friday, March 17.