Serious Accident Near Markyate Closes Major Roads
A SERIOUS road traffic accident near Markyate has led to the closure of three major roads. The incident occurred just before 1pm today, when a HGV collided with a yellow Fiat Punto on the A5 close to the junction with the B4540 Luton Road near Markyate.
A SERIOUS road traffic accident near Markyate has led to the closure of three major roads.
The incident occurred just before 1pm today, when a HGV collided with a yellow Fiat Punto on the A5 close to the junction with the B4540 Luton Road near Markyate.
Hertfordshire firefighters attended the scene and had to cut out the Fiat Punto passengers, one of which was airlifted to a hospital in Cambridge by air ambulance.
Two other passengers were taken to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital, also with serious injuries, although the drivers of both vehicles escaped the accident unharmed.
You may also want to watch:
Road closures are currently in place on Luton Road, the High Street and London Road and they are expected to remain in place for the next couple of hours while police carry out investigations.
Police are advising motorists to avoid the area if possible as delays are expected.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to contact Serious Traffic Incident investigator PC Bob Hauxwell on the non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222.