Serious Accident Near Markyate Closes Major Roads
A SERIOUS road traffic accident near Markyate has led to the closure of three major roads. The incident occurred just before 1pm today, when a HGV collided with a yellow Fiat Punto on the A5 close to the junction with the B4540 Luton Road near Markyate.
A SERIOUS road traffic accident near Markyate has led to the closure of three major roads.
The incident occurred just before 1pm today, when a HGV collided with a yellow Fiat Punto on the A5 close to the junction with the B4540 Luton Road near Markyate.
Hertfordshire firefighters attended the scene and had to cut out the Fiat Punto passengers, one of which was airlifted to a hospital in Cambridge by air ambulance.
Two other passengers were taken to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital, also with serious injuries, although the drivers of both vehicles escaped the accident unharmed.
Road closures are currently in place on Luton Road, the High Street and London Road and they are expected to remain in place for the next couple of hours while police carry out investigations.
Police are advising motorists to avoid the area if possible as delays are expected.
- 1 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 2 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 3 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 4 Motorcyclist in serious but stable condition after B556 London Colney crash
- 5 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 6 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 7 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 8 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 9 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 10 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to contact Serious Traffic Incident investigator PC Bob Hauxwell on the non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222.