Serious Accident Near Markyate Closes Major Roads
A SERIOUS road traffic accident near Markyate has led to the closure of three major roads. The incident occurred just before 1pm today, when a HGV collided with a yellow Fiat Punto on the A5 close to the junction with the B4540 Luton Road near Markyate.
A SERIOUS road traffic accident near Markyate has led to the closure of three major roads.
The incident occurred just before 1pm today, when a HGV collided with a yellow Fiat Punto on the A5 close to the junction with the B4540 Luton Road near Markyate.
Hertfordshire firefighters attended the scene and had to cut out the Fiat Punto passengers, one of which was airlifted to a hospital in Cambridge by air ambulance.
Two other passengers were taken to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital, also with serious injuries, although the drivers of both vehicles escaped the accident unharmed.
Road closures are currently in place on Luton Road, the High Street and London Road and they are expected to remain in place for the next couple of hours while police carry out investigations.
Police are advising motorists to avoid the area if possible as delays are expected.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 4 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 7 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 10 Who was the witch of St Albans?
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to contact Serious Traffic Incident investigator PC Bob Hauxwell on the non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222.