Search for Harpenden link to Yorskhire mansion
A CURATOR from Yorkshire is determined to find a Harpenden man who is linked to the historical mansion which houses his museum. Grant Scanlan, curator of Dewsbury Museum in West Yorkshire, is trying to trace Harold Newman, formerly of Barnfield Road, whos
A CURATOR from Yorkshire is determined to find a Harpenden man who is linked to the historical mansion which houses his museum.
Grant Scanlan, curator of Dewsbury Museum in West Yorkshire, is trying to trace Harold Newman, formerly of Barnfield Road, whose ancestors, the Hague family, occupied Crow Nest Mansion from 1798 to 1893.
Grant, who has been at the museum of childhood for nine years, said that he was desperate to find out more about the mansion: "The museum is going through a period of refurbishment at the moment and we want one of the exhibitions to be about the house itself.
"We have a letter on file from Mr Newman dating from 1997 and in it he expresses great interest in the mansion and the Hague family."
You may also want to watch:
Grant said that Crow Nest, which has the appearance of a Georgian mansion, may date back as far as the 11th century: "We think there was something on the site around the time of the Doomsday Book.
"It certainly has an interesting history and it was during the Hagues' period of occupation that the house was substantially developed."
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
Grant has so far only discovered that Mr Newman's Barnfield Road property was sold in 2007 and has asked local residents to contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org should they have any more information about Mr Newman or his family.