Scrap metal thieves steal children's playground slides
SCRAP metal thieves are thought to have been responsible for stealing two slides from a local children s park. The stainless steel equipment was taken between last Monday and Thursday from the park in Hyde Lane, Park Street. Cllr John Bell, the chairman
SCRAP metal thieves are thought to have been responsible for stealing two slides from a local children's park.
The stainless steel equipment was taken between last Monday and Thursday from the park in Hyde Lane, Park Street.
Cllr John Bell, the chairman of St Stephen Parish Council which manages the park, said: "We are very disappointed. The park round there is a little bit isolated from anywhere and it is out of view from anyone so obviously someone has decided to go down there and pinch these things, presumably for scrap metal as they were stainless steel."
He added: "They obviously don't care about the local children and the loss it causes."
The slides will cost in the region of £8,000 to replace but the parish council is waiting to hear if their lease on the land will be renewed next year by landowners Lafarge before they buy any new equipment.
Police are appealing for witnesses and information about the theft and people are asked to call the investigating officer Sergeant Vincent O'Malley on 0845 33 00 222.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 6 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 7 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 8 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 9 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.